Logo - Kinship Care

Kinship Care

Kinship Carers are people who care for children who are relatives or close family friends because the birth parents are unable to do so.

Citizens Advice Scotland runs an advice service specifically for kinship carers.

This Service can give advice on

  • the legal status of the child(ren) that you care for
  • entitlement to Kinship Care Allowance
  • entitlement to other benefits
  • housing issues
  • education
  • support groups run by other kinship carers
  • emotional & practical support available from other organisations

This can be especially useful as people often become kinship carers at short notice and can find their new role very daunting.  Becoming a kinship carer can also have a huge impact financially as kinship carers may be uncertain of their benefits entitlement, struggle to keep their job whilst dealing with their new responsibilities, have to move house to accommodate the extra family member(s), or have added responsibilities if the kinship child has disabilities or behavioural issues.

The Kinship Care Service is here to help both new and established kinship carers to understand and cope with their roles.  We can give advice to kinship carers regardless of whether or not there has been social work involvement in the child’s life.

There are a variety of ways to get in touch with us:

  • Call at your local Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Call your Regional Kinship Care Co-ordinator, Marion Hamilton on 0300 303 4321 or email marion.hamilton@dagcas.org
  • Call our Kinship Helpline on 0808 800 0006

We look forward to hearing from you.

*** STOP PRESS: Entitlement to Kinship Care Allowance has changed. Contact the Service to see if you qualify. ***

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someonePrint this page